Housing advice links

Shelter run a free housing advice telephone line. The Shelter London Advice Service page has up-to-date details.

The Shelter website also has a lot of information about housing problems, including some template letters that you can use to write to your landlord or the council.

Citizens Advice can give advice on various issues, including housing. In Haringey, their offices are currently closed but you can call their advice line – see Haringey CAB website for up-to-date information. The general Citizens Advice website also has information about housing problems.

Haringey Law Centre offers free legal advice. Their offices are currently closed, but you can contact them by phone or email. If they think they can help, they may then book an appointment for you. See the Haringey Law Centre website for up-to-date contact details.

St James church in Muswell Hill runs free legal advice drop-ins several times a week. The St James Legal Advice website has the current details.

Haringey Migrant Support Centre can offer advice on immigration issues. They currently have a phone line for new enquiries, but check the Migrant Support Centre website for up-to-date details.

If you have No Recourse To Public Funds, but do have children, you may be entitled to housing help from Social Services. Project 17 can offer advice and support with this.

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline can help you find a place in a refuge and signpost you to other support if you are facing domestic violence. See Refuge’s website for the up-to-date number.

The following London-based law firms may be able to offer free help with urgent housing issues, if you are entitled to Legal Aid. You can check your Legal Aid eligibility on the government’s website.

Burke Niazi
Deighton Pierce Glynn

Edwards Duthie Shamash
GT Stewart
Hansen Palomares
Hodge Jones Allen
Hopkin Murray Beskine
Mary Ward Legal Centre
Miles and Partners